Sunday, October 11, 2009

Things Could Get A Lot Worse!!!

My last class for the day; and I plan to take a break from my busy schedule…. And friends. I want to get back home and get some sleep after I spent the last night dribbling over my assignment (yeah, that’s what you get for doing your work late).
As I step out of my college, I see the dark gray clouds gathering overhead. I sigh to myself; at last the cities going to have some rain. I hurry on, realizing that if it begins to rain right now, I’m going to be stuck here forever. Yes, that’s exactly why I’m panicking. Thank the mean auto – rickshaw guys for deciding to torture me on a rainy day!!
If I don’t get an auto – rickshaw in time, I‘m going to miss my bus…. And hence, goes wrong the routine program I had planned. And, I DO NOT want that to happen!
I’m crossing my fingers and toes (literally), praying to God to be generous to me today.
AND, finally - after losing 8 auto-rickshaws - God has been good to me. Now, I can get to my bus stop in time; and then, I’ll be home!! My heart is jumping with joy at the thought of the wonderful hours that I’m going to be sleeping. I’m blessing the auto – rickshaw guy. What a saviour?!
I make it to my bus stop, just in time to see my bus speed away. I already feel rotten. Never mind, I’ll catch the next bus that comes in about half an hour, 15 minutes…. Not a problem. I’ll still get my sleep.
I’m waiting (standing, actually) at my bus stop. Exactly an hour now. What the heck!! But, I’m still waiting; there’s no way I’m budging from here. Because if I do, I’ll still get to nowhere. Not a single auto-rickshaw is ready to stop. That darn bus HAS to come!!
Then, I see a bus coming down over the flyover. Please let it be THE bus, please…
And guess what?! It is. What a relief. But wait. The bus is so crowded. But again, it’s what seems to me like the only bus to be coming for a long while. So, I weigh my options (I don’t have many), and then, decide to get in. At least I’ll be making it home. I fight my way through the crowd (there’s not much fighting to do, considering the fact that everyone is practically squash), and manage to get hold of a pole that I can grip to keep my balance going strong. What a day, I say to myself. But, things could get worse. So, I’m thanking God for small mercies.
About an hour into the journey, I realize that it’s been longer than usual to get to Nehru Place, from where I catch my second bus. Now, I’m getting irritable. Dang it, my toes!! They’re going to be a mess by the time I get home. The rain is pouring as if, it had only today to flood the city.
In that time (while standing in the bus), I’m rescheduling my whole plan. It’s already 4.00 pm. I should have been home by now. Bye – bye sweet dreams.
I’m practically exhausted by now. The bus is crawling. People around me are getting restless, and terribly irritating. We’ve been stuck in the same place for an hour now. I begin to ask my self, can anything get any worse than this? And, as if bad fortune heard my call, the bus driver (unnerved he is, to say the least) announces to us, “Abhi toh bahut waqt lagega. Yeh jaam toh bana rahega ek do ghante ke liye”.
YEAH, WELCOME TO SAADI DILLI!!!
People start murmuring angrily but I couldn’t care less.
I WANT TO GO HOME!!! My insides are screaming out to whoever would listen. But, on the outside I am unperturbed. I should have auditioned for my drama society!!!
I’m trying to distract my thoughts. Before I know it I’ll be home (yeah, right!)
Two and a half hours. Looks like we’ve come to the end of the jam. I let out a sigh of relief. Fifteen minutes later, I’m getting off my bus only to realize that I’m going to have to run to my second bus before I miss it and stay stuck in the rain - forever.
I run as if my life is at stake (not to mention that I’m drenched to my little toe).
Just when I thought I wouldn’t be needing my umbrella on such a hot day, the rain comes pouring down and teaches me a lesson. And, I suddenly remember Great Murphy’s Laws.
Things happen just when you don’t expect them the to.
I get into my bus and I can see people looking at me. I must look like an idiot; I sure feel like one. After I manage to get a seat to myself (what a relief, after hours of standing), I check my phone. It isn’t wet (at least there was Something that wasn’t wet). I call my mother to let her know I’ll be late. But, she’s stuck in a jam, too. Great!! Today is DEFINITELY our day out.
Finally, the engine of the bus croaks to life.
And I answer it wearily, “Just take me home”.
After what seems to have been ages (which I do not have the energy to mind), I get off the bus, already dogged.
It’s dark now. What a surprise!! But, I can’t be bothered about it just yet. As it is, I’m too tired.
Now, all I have to do is walk home.
Darn! Can’t someone just carry me home?! Yeah, like in the James Blunt song. Urgh… Never mind.
The point is that I finally made it home. YAYE!!! God is great!
But seriously, what a day!!!
Phew!!

No comments: